Require user interaction before uprading database and allow making a backup first.
So we've upgraded quassel on our server only to discover the new version crashes beyond usability. However, since upon starting quasselcore it immediately updated the database without any prior warning or backup, I'm now stuck with database that's incompatible with the previous version. I really do think that potentially destructive, non-trivially reversible actions such as database schema upgrade should not happen without prior warning.
I would like to request that whenever quasselcore needs to perform a database update, it refuses to start and explicitly requests confirmation e.g. via additional command-line option. Additionally, it would probably be a good idea to suggest user to make a backup while at it.
#1 Updated by genius3000 over 2 years ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
- Subject changed from Database schema should not be automatically updated without backup to Require user interaction before uprading database and allow making a backup first.
- Category set to Quassel Core
- Status changed from New to Feedback
- Priority changed from High to Normal
- Target version set to Some future release
- Version deleted (
Updated this to a feature request as it's more that than a bug report. No details were provided of the issue the OP had with the database, so can't really trace down a rare bug that way.