Build Quassel on Windows Mingw » History » Version 35
« Previous -
Next » -
avih, 02/22/2013 10:39 PM
Build Quassel on Windows Mingw¶
Build Quassel with QT only¶
Step 1: Install QT SDK¶
Download and install the QT SDK and select mingw to install with QT.
Step 2: Install DBGHELP Mingw¶
If you are using mingw w64 skip this step
Download DBGHELP Mingw and extract it over the mingw folder (make sure dbghelp.h ends up in mingw\include and similarly for the mingw\lib). (this file was compiled from libdbghelp.7z and dbghelp.h , the latter no longer available).
Step 3: Install CMake¶
- "git clone git://gitorious.org/quassel/quassel.git"
- open a command line
- add mingw to your path (set PATH=%PATH%;'mingwdir')
- add cmake to your path (analog to mingw)
- add QT to yo your path, 'qt\version'\qt\bin
- switch to the directory where you checked out Quassel
- type "mkdir build"
- type "cd build"
- type "cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" .."
- type "mingw32-make"
Build Quassel with Windows KDE¶
- got to the Emerge Tutorial
- check out emerge and set up the kdesettings.bat acording to the kde tutorial
- install quassel "emerge quassel-qt" or "emerge quassel" to build quassel with kdesupport, emerge will install all dependency's for you
- when emerge has finished all jobs, start quassel
The steps above would also be possible with msvc2008
Notes after following this guide with mingw which comes with QTSDK (1.2.1)¶
- When installing QtSDK, and especially if you have Visual Studio installed but you want to compile with mingw, make sure to use the custom installer, and check Qt SDK > Development Tools > Desktop Qt > Qt 4.8.1 (Desktop) > Desktop Qt 4.8.1 - MinGW
- Cmake can be downloaded here . I got the windows binary zip file, extracted it, and added the path of the 'bin' dir within it.
- The mingw bin dir is
<QTSDK-dir>\mingw\bin, the QT path is
- The official 0.8 tarball failed to build after 80% with the following error (which I couldn't fix):
mingw32-make: *** No rule to make target `po/qt_cs.qm', needed by `po/CMakeFiles/po'. Stop. mingw32-make: *** [po/CMakeFiles/po.dir/all] Error 2 mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2
- After successfully compiling the cloned git master from command line, I needed the following DLLs at the same dir as the exe: QtCore4.dll QtGui4.dll QtNetwork4.dll QtWebKit4.dll libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll mingwm10.dll phonon4.dll. These files can be copied from the mingw and the QT dirs, or from the win32 official quassel distribution package here (7-zip can extract the windows installer, these files are in there).
- QTCreator project (not mandatory, but nice as IDE and for debugging):
- Run QTCreator and click File -> Open File or Project
- Choose the main CMakeList.txt file at the root of the source tree (the same dir with the INSTALL and README files).
- Point to your cmake.exe file (which you download earlier).
- Add the following arguments (make sure your qtsdk path matches): -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=C:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\bin\qmake.exe -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo . Note that generally -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug should be better for breakpoints, but it crashed for me, and RelWithDebInfo didn't. YMMV.
- Click run cmake. It should finish without errors, click Finish.
- Once the project is open, click "Projects" at the left side, expand Details at the "Run Environment" section, click the line of the variable PATH, and add the QT path (e.g. c:/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/mingw/bin).
- Now you can edit the code, follow symbols, and should be able to build, breakpoint and single-step quassel.